Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund is here to give support to people who are struggling with the current cost of living, including food and bills.

This includes families, pensioners, unpaid carers, care leavers and people with disabilities who are struggling at the moment.

This could include help with your energy, water, broadband and phone bills, as well as other essentials such as food, clothing and hygiene products.  Other areas of help can include boiler inspection and energy efficiency (if you are a home owner), reduction of utility bills, white goods and children’s beds (1 per household in any 6 months), support to reduce your outgoings and to increase your income and help to stay healthy and well.

The Council has delivered the HSF since October 2021 in partnership with voluntary, community and faith sector partner organisations who work together to get the vital support to those who need it most.  So far, £842 million of additional funding has been made available across the UK to help the most vulnerable across England.

The funding is an extension of the Household Support Fund and has been allocated by the Department for Work and Pensions to Councils in England, including Blackburn with Darwen, to support those in need in their local area.

It is aimed at households in work with an annual income threshold below;

  • Single person in work household with a total annual household income below £26,057 gross pay (before tax and NI)
  • More than one person in work households with a total annual income below £38,870 (before tax and NI)
  • Or households in receipt of income based benefits with at least 1 minimum criteria below will be considered:
    • Physical disability- evidence GP/Hospital letter
    • Learning disability and/or Autism- evidence GP/hospital letter
    • Long term health condition impacted by cold- evidence GP/hospital letter
    • Reliance on electrical equipment to support independent living- evidence GP/hospital letter
    • Vulnerable adults or children supported by mental health services- evidence GP hospital letter
    • Vulnerable families supported by Social worker, family support- evidence name of support worker
    • Vulnerable adult supported by Social worker or adult health and social care- evidence name of support worker
    • Children under 5s including and pregnant mums
    • Carers
    • Recently come off benefits and entered employment- evidence most recent UC/benefits claim statement
    • UC claim is nil- intermittent workers, zero hour contracts-gig economy, variable income- evidence most recent UC/benefits claim statement

It is one application per household during any 6 month period, including previous schemes.  Applications are now open. You can apply here.